June 04, 2008

World Mixed Doubles

I must say that I like Mixed Doubles curling. I enjoyed the Scottish Mixed Doubles Championship at Murrayfield last season, and I was fascinated with the inaugural World event at Vierumaki. Concerns that it would not be fun to watch were quickly dispelled, and I am really glad I was there.

Curling Today has already flagged up (here) that the second World MDs event is headed for Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy next April. The official WCF press release was issued today. Find it on the WCF website here.

It's a long way off yet, and the number of countries entering will not be known until November. Last time twenty-four countries took part. There could well be more in Cortina! The event will stand on its own next season. In Vierumaki it ran alongside the World Seniors, particularly difficult for the ice crew and the organising committee.

Interesting to note that the Italian venue will host the World Men's Championship in 2010. Photos of curling in Cortina, and of the Stadio del Ghiaccio, can be found on the Curling Cortina website here.

Top: Canada v Hungary at Vierumaki. Bob's pic.

No comments: